Sunday, July 27, 2008


So I promised to fill y'all in on last weeks Eastern Cape tour, but didn’t, was super busy, those times where you have just put your head down and klap it! But last week went kinda like this:

On the Monday my PA books me on the red eye, damn I tell the lass not the red eye flight and I get the red eye flight...pick up a rental car in East London and cruise seeing customers all the way to George. The drive is insane beautiful!! East London is all rivers, hills and sea (my dream place), and then onto PE (Not for me, but cool), I stopped off in J-Bay, watched some guys surfing, it’s a natural wonder that place, did you know that J-Bay is considered one of the top 10 surf spots in the world. Then off to Plett, this is where I could live again, I stayed in the best BB, The Tarn Country House, the owners/managers Francois & Henna were the raddest young couple, we drank beer, shot the breeze and I got bumped up into the top suite. François is a self trained chef, which cooks the most insane dishes, that night I ate shark pasta, the best damn pasta, I ever have eaten. Then I blazed my way down to George, where I had a run in with a BB owner, he wanted me to pay upfront a day earlier for the accommodation (after 4 phone calls), food and drinks that I was going to eat. I disagreed on the stance that I had not received anything, so did not want to pay in full (was glad to pay a deposit0 for something that I had no received, the guy then proceeds to lecture me on business practice, I mean I am going to be his guest, and he is berating me. He asks, so "will I be staying then?” At this stage I did not want to give this idiot any business. I was just blown away by some people business egos, the big wheel turns my friend, anyway don’t stay at Lands End in Vic Bay George, Vic Bay though is one of the most unique places, I saw whales breaching, surfers surfing, dolphins frolicking, it was like Eden.

So that’s that, and then came the weekend this last weekend, for my 30th birthday. Sweet melons! We tried to ring crap out of it, we hit Southbroom on Friday night, and broke into stride with old mates, and chilled, banged our gums about current/old times, mocked our mates, it was really cool, all whilst in the process of getting sculled out of our minds.

The ol' drinking games eventually bore its horrific head and well that was the start of the end of comatose me, we hit Pistols pub after, I love that place for its brutal honesty about pubs, provide bar, toilet and do what you want after that. I was out of control, dancing with old tannies, running around like a madman, met new best friends, found and lost brothers, I saw pictures the next day that I begged to deleted, but will probably fond their way onto Facebook, damn, damn, I looked hammered, but HAPPY to be inebriated!

Saturday, I gingerly rose, for some reason I am an irritating morning person, up I got, packed surf boards and off with two mates to hit the surf, cool surf a bit of a wake up shake up, then a huge fry up! We lay in the sun, reading, chilling...this continued until the beer hounds pounced and upped the anti, Sat ended up much like Fri, just a different venue, we hit Margate which was teeming with advertising execs from the Leorie awards!

I am shattered and treating today in recovery mode. Happy days, I will never drink again!!

S.

5 comments:

Miss T said...

life is tough in africa....gotta miss home!

Kim said...

Well happy belated birthday Sunrise!! You went large and deservedly so!!
I am green with envy - it is awesome that you get to travel for work!
Good luck with the recovery!

Sunrise said...

Miss T: It is tough, its the wild west, so when in Rome...

DT: Ta for the wishes, it was awesome! I learnt about the robot drinks, stupid but this is it: start with a double vodka and Sparberry, then a double vodka and Fanta aannnndddd then a double vodka and cream soda...so stooopid! But makes the night zoom by!

Kim said...

LOL - I bet it does!! I remember having reggae shooters - Green and red zambuca following by gold tequila! The colours were not so pretty when they came back to me on the bathroom floor - I still run a mile when I smell Zambuca!!

Sunrise said...

Hell I hate Zambuca, terrible stuff - I used to work as a bartender back in the varsity days at Joe Kools in DBN and some hookers used to roll there, all they drank was blue Zambuca, will not touch the stuff! Although my stomach turns at Old Brown Sherry too...